has broken her silence after fans called for her to return to Countdown as host, after announced she was stepping down.
The TV favourite, 61, who was the show’s maths whizz for 26 years told fans it ‘would be an honour’ to return to the series as the programme’s host.
Taking to on Wednesday, she wrote: ‘Thank you to all of you saying such lovely things about a possibility of me returning to Countdown.
Back again? Carol Vorderman has broken her silence after fans called for her to return to Countdown as host, after Anne Robinson announced she was stepping down after just a year
‘You’re very kind & it would be an honour but I want to wish whoever is the lucky human to be the new host all the love and 9 letter words in the world #CountWell#HappyDays.’
Speaking to , a TV insider previously revealed: ‘Carol is such a big part of Countdown and Channel 4 know how much everyone loves her.
‘Bosses would love her to come back as the main host, her Countdown journey would come full circle. It would be perfect.’
A source close to the star told the publication: ‘Countdown has always held a special place in Carol’s heart. And she continues to be a big fan of the show, nearly 40 years on.
Honoured: The TV favourite, 61, who co hosted the show for 26 years told fans it ‘would be an honour’ to return to the series
‘It’s lovely to see that she’s had such great support from fans of the show online.’
Carol’s response comes after it was revealed that also in the running to replace to Anne as host is TV presenter Richard Osman.
Richard, 51, recently quit his show Pointless after 13 years so would be free to take on new commitments.
It comes amid claims that the cast of Countdown are ‘relieved’ that Anne is leaving after reports on an on set feud with – who Anne reportedly found ‘too noisy’ – and Susie Dent.
New role? Carol’s response comes after it was revealed that also in the running to replace to Anne as host is TV presenter Richard Osman
One insider told : ‘Everyone is so relieved, to be honest. It’s all been a bit of a disaster with the fallouts and squabbles, we just want to draw a line under it and move on.’
Meanwhile Ladbrokes have said that Richard currently has 3/1 odds of replacing Anne on Countdown.
After Richard, the next strongest odds for replacements go to comedian Susan Calman and Taskmaster star Alex Horne, both of whom have 4/1 odds.
Star: TV star Richard, 51, recently quit his show Pointless after 13 years so would be free to take on new commitments (Anne is pictured)
Writer Victoria Coren Mitchell is next with 9/2 odds, while 8 Out Of 10 Cats star Jon Richardson follows with 11/2 odds.
Richard said in his statement last month when he quit Pointless: ‘I will miss everyone so much, but I’m thrilled that I’ll still be presenting the celebrity shows. I can’t thank everyone enough for twelve amazing years.’
Representatives for Anne and Richard have been contacted by MailOnline for a comment.
Meanwhile Anne, 77, announced she was leaving Countdown after just one year on Monday – admitting she has ‘a lot going on’ and wants to enjoy family life.
Oh no: It comes amid claims that the cast of Countdown are ‘relieved’ that Anne is leaving after reports on an on set feud with Rachel Riley – who Anne reportedly found ‘too noisy’
Susie posted a supportive tweet to the presenter on Monday morning, which Rachel retweeted – despite reports that she found the ladies ‘too loud’ on set.
Susie put out a tweet on Monday morning to show her support for Anne, writing: ‘Some Countdown news. Wishing Anne all the very best in her new adventures with her grandchildren and beyond.
And it seemed that Rachel placed her seal of approval on the words, as she retweeted the post from pal Susie.
But while the TV stars put on a friendly display through social media, it comes after reports last year that Anne, who suffers from tinnitus, found Rachel ‘too loud’ and was ‘irritated by her habit of chatting on her mobile phone, and by her time-keeping’.
Job: As well as Richard, writer Victoria Coren Mitchell (pictured) is next tipped with 9/2 odds, while 8 Out Of 10 Cats star Jon Richardson follows with 11/2 odds
While a source told The Sun that Anne ‘silenced’ Rachel’s microphone during the show, to the dismay of the math whizz.
Opening up to Alison Boshoff for the Daily Mail, Anne admitted that Rachel is noisy and that she ‘wouldn’t go on holiday’ with her – but dismissed claims of a feud.
The Weakest Link host explained: ‘I’m not saying I would go on holiday with Rachel Riley, but she is brilliant,’ she said. ‘Absolutely honestly, I do admire her – she is really, really good at what she does, as is Susie Dent.
‘Look, Rachel has just come back from having a baby and she is standing throughout and faultless, whereas I get to sit down. She is noisy, yes she and Susie both are – they are a formidable pair those two. But there isn’t a question of my going because of a rift, that’s nonsense.’
She also explained that the three talk’ during the show, detailing: ‘The way that it’s filmed is so tight that… we don’t have time to talk to each other.’
Representatives for Rachel Riley declined to comment.
Anne told Alison that she is leaving the show as her contract was only one year long, and she ‘didn’t realise how much time it would take up’.
Explaining that she’s swapping the ‘intense’ filming schedule for some downtime at home, Anne said: ‘I am moving on because I’ve got a lot going on – grandchildren, a big garden, an apartment in New York – and I want to enjoy them. Countdown has taken up more of time than I thought it would.’